The Gateway Programme is an initiative developed and supported by the Tertiary Education Commission (TEC). The success of the Gateway Programme and the outcomes achieved by our students has led to Apprenticeships, Employment and a confidence in choosing Tertiary level study.
Gateway continues to be a good option for students who wish to confirm their career pathway ideas whilst still at school. It is a two part programme which involves a work placement and also gaining a minimum of 20 credits in the chosen vocational pathway. Students also have opportunities to take part in Workplace First Aid and Health & Safety Courses which is excellent preparation for life after school.
Benefits for students:
- Apply skills and knowledge to the workplace
- Gain insights to working life
- Gain skills in specific industry areas
- Gain qualifications relevant to their chosen trade/career
- Be involved in transition from school to work
- See if their perception of the career matches reality
Benefits for employers:
- Enhance recruitment and selection
- Build up skills in the industry
- Strengthen links with local community schools
We have had great feedback from employers locally and we are grateful for those businesses that accept our students into their workplaces and give them the opportunity to see whether or not this is the industry for them.
When we have matched a student with a business, we take the time to go through an interview process so all parties are on the same page with placement details and expectations. At this time we also discuss H & S requirements and answer any questions that arise.
If you would like to be part of this programme, please email our Careers Department for further information. Positions are limited and are set by TEC.