Languages are alive and well at Tauhara College!
It is not enough to experience a language within the confines of the classroom and Tauhara is proud to be able to offer overseas trips to New Caledonia, France and Japan alternate years. For language students actually hearing people speak the language, rich in slang and different accents, is one of the best ways for it to sink in.
Students can choose to learn French, Japanese, Spanish, Maori and English as a second Language. These are available at all levels and students can work at multi level.
Language classes are enriched by the presence of many international students who have the ability to speak sometimes up to five languages. The department regularly hosts overseas school groups as well. This is very motivating for our kiwi English speaking students!
|Subjects and Levels Taught
||Years 9-11 (Will be extended to senior levels as numbers grow)
|Madame Shelley Kirkwood
||Head of Faculty, French - Years 10-13
||Maori - Years 9-13
||Spanish Years 9-11
||Japanese 9-13 (on maternity leave)
French, Japanese, Spanish and Maori at tertiary level (and a taste or interest in other languages)
Career paths involving tourism, international business, travel, teaching.
Languages students will shortly be able to access all classnotes and related activity on the Languages site on the School Ultranet. Students have access to wonderful language sites to listen to authentic language at Tauhara College. The faculty prides itself on being very computer literate and now have computers, data projectors and digital microphones in all classrooms.
- Upcoming International trips
- France and Spain in September 2014
- host groups from sister schools in Noumea, New Caledonia and Osaka, Japan
- ICAS language competition in French and Japanese
- International Languages Week
- dress up days
- student of the term morning tea with French, Japanese, Spanish and Maori food
- cooking and food days and restaurant visits
- host a native assistant teacher from Japan on a cultural exchange
- access to interactive websites in languages
- Use of Ultranet for extra activities
- Learn Te Reo Māori
- Learn history of Aotearoa
- Marae trips for different kawa (protocols)
- Māori Performing Arts (Culture)
- Kapa Haka
- Tiaki Tauira (Māori and Pacifica students mentoring initiative)
- Māori Language Week
The Māori Department tries to contribute to the school life and create avenues for our tamariki to feel comfortable in their culture. We have the Kapa Haka group which runs every year and we do mainly local performances and the Tuwharetoa Festival.
Our other focus is Tiaki Tauira which is a mentoring initiative to guide our Māori and Pacifica students in their schooling life and achievement at Tauhara College.